Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Heck: Where the Bad Kids Go

Ok, lets review our options. If a bad kid dies, you would think that they have two options: above, or below. How about.... Heck? That might not even sound like a real place, but in this book, it is. Let me brief it for you: Marlo, is....well, a lot of things. She's a teenage, goth, kleptomaniac girl, who tries to get attention, mostly in the wrong ways. And sometimes, petty shoplifting can turn into full blown mayhem. I forgot, she also has a sensible, bookworm brother, called Milton, who tries to stay out of trouble. But as the younger one, guess who has to obey the orders???Written from Milton's point of view, Dale E. Basye makes you yearn for more as the siblings die in a marshmallow bear explosion. But that, is just the beginning. Once they get to the huge gates of Heck, they are met by a monster, literally. Life here is painful (yes, they can feel pain), as they try in vain to make their escapes. They encounter child-harassing bogeymen, and teachers that have students perform an autopsy on them. I liked this book because, just like The Five People You Meet in Heaven, it gave a different perspective on afterlife. I won't rob you of the ending, but I can say that it has a very interesting twist that leaves you dumbstruck. I was so shocked that I didn't even realize that the book had ended. Really! This book is perfect for children above ten maybe, because the concept might be a little difficult to grasp (the situation keeps changing). But overall, it really is a wonderful book!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review!! It means a lot!
    Best,
    Dale Basye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr. Basye,
      Thank you for commenting! I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to visit my blog! Anyways, thank you so much, and just like you said, it really does mean a lot to me too! :)
      Sincerely,

      Minakshi S.

      Delete