Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Girl Mechanic of Wanzhou

The Girl Mechanic of Wanzhou is a realistic fiction novel written by Marjorie Sayer takes place in the ancient Chinese city of Wanzhou in 1912. The main character is Zun, a twelve year old girl whose father is a mechanic. Her father was onto a revolutionary breakthrough on the way bicycles were built. Suddenly, her life turns upside down when her father is seriously injured by the Magistrate's men. He is taken away to the unknown and Zun believes him to be dead. Furthermore, her mother is captured and imprisoned. Desperate to save her, Zun goes on an impossible mission with the help of some old family friends whom she had no clue existed. When I read this book, I truly felt as though I was in ancient China, seeing and smelling what Zun saw and smelled. I especially loved the vivid picture that Ms. Sayer created for us. Action-packed and thrilling, I'd recommend it for readers aged 10+. 

No comments:

Post a Comment